Thursday, December 19, 2013

Two letters from a Private that was enlisted in the 1st (Carter's) Tennessee Cavalry

   These are a couple of letters that was written by Pvt. James L. Stephens to his sister. The letter was written prior to the Battle of Murfreesboro. It states that he was assigned to Col. Carter. He mentions Maj. Onslow Bean and Capt. Goforth. His letter also gives their location on Dec. 10, 1862 prior to the Murfreesboro.

 December 9, 1862

Dear Sis

     As I have an opportunity of writing I will drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well and where I am at.  We are camped 8 miles from Murfreesburro. In the pike shed besides to McMinville.  I think we will go to town to Morrow.  Did it Snow Eny over on that side of the Mountain.  It Snowed a big Snow over hear I hav not heard of …. Since I hav bin heur.  He Is down about Nashville Some Where  We nearer to day   Think the fedrals were leaving Nashville  I do not know wether it is So or Not  They has Not bin Eny fightin latly.    I do not know where our Rigiment is at we left it last week. I do not know where we will go  So it is gone   I am in Hopes I Never will See it a gan.  We are furring (faring) fine, at the present time.   The Captin and I have done got dinner. We had Chicken and pork and plenty of Every thing  Else Clay and I do the Cooking and the Captian byes things

    Cut is a fine cavilry hoss   I was offurd $200. for her the other day  She looks fine   Laura tell father that I would like if he has Enay lether I would like to hav me a pare of boots made  The will be nears hard to git. After while. And I will pay for them.  I will need the boots.  Tell father and Mother to rest easy for the Yankees is not coming for a long spell.   Is Elbert gon out in the survis yeut.  I will hav to close  

Sill (still) remaining your True Brother
J.L. Stephens 

Camps Near Blacks X Roads


De em the 10 1862

Dear Sister

 I take the pleasur according to prommist.  We are capt 6 miles from Murfreesurrow in the Direction fo Leenton.  I seen o Sight To Day Never Saw before. 2. 3 00. Yankees Prisners.  John H. Morgan had to fight last Sunday with them and whip them good and took, 2, 300 prisners and large amount of comsurs (commissary) wagons Arms Aminson.&.   James E. Carter is our Cournal.  May Beam is oru Lut. Cournal   Cup Gofurth(?) is Maj.  Giddens is our qurter master,  Some man from Knoxvill is our comsure  Clay will not git the appointen.(appointment)
I think I will git a transfur to James McReynods Cum. Cut stones the trip fine I think she will makie a good cavilly Horse   when you wright to me Buck them to Murfreesburor   Tell ….. to take good cear of Bill    I hav Not Seen Ike since I hav bin over hear.  I hearde of him the other day he is …… go ovr 60 mile, he lowes (allows?) hear

I am well at presnt.

Form your Brother
J.L Stephens

 Here is Pvt. James L. Stephens' Shell jacket. My G.G. Grandfather was also a Private and most likely wore the same type. This jacket is for sale at this website They are including the two letters with the purchase of the jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment